Looking to supercharge your bone broth to help you lose weight? Spice up your bone broth recipe with ingredients that have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years to aid digestion and weight loss!
Bone broth is one of the most nutritious superfoods that can be easily made at home.
Its health benefits include healing the gut, improving digestion, boosting bone and tooth health, detox and strengthening your immune system to prevent the cold and flu.
By making the broth at home, you avoid the preservatives and other chemicals typically added to the store-bought versions, and you can control the quality and the healing ingredients that you add to the broth.
In addition to the vegetables, spices, and herbs commonly found in bone broth recipes, I also add a couple of ingredients that have been used in traditional Chinese medicine to further support digestion and weight loss:
Goji berries: a superfood with many health benefits ranging from controlling diabetes and high blood pressure to improved mood and sleep to increased metabolism and weight loss.
Adding goji berries to the broth will enhance its taste with a mild sweetness.
Ginger: commonly used in both Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine, it is known to support digestion, increase circulation, and helps you feel full to prevent overeating.
Ginger is also known to be a thermogenic food that raises the temperature of the body and helps boost metabolism and increases fat burn.
Simply put, ginger is incredible for weight loss and full of other health benefits, I recommend that you always stock it in your kitchen!
This chicken bone broth is a staple in my home, especially during the cold and flu seasons. Serve it as a drink or add it to soups and stews.
Be forewarned that the ginger may help you debloat – taking you one step closer to achieving that flatter belly!
Homemade Bone Broth Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken carcasses or beef bones
- 2 chicken feet (optional for extra gelatin)
- 2 carrots, chopped (keep the nutrient-dense skin)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 2 Tbsp goji berries
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger root, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Filtered water
- Toss everything into the slow cooker and fill up with water until just about full.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 24 hours for chicken or 48 hours for beef bone. Alternatively, I’ve been able to save 6 hours since I got my Instant Pot (use Manual setting, select “high pressure” and set the timer to 120 minutes).
- When done, strain the stock and discard the bones and veggies/herbs. Spoon and remove any excess fat from the top of the broth.
Sharing is caring! What ingredients are in your bone broth recipe? Do you feel a difference in the health benefits compared to the store-bought versions? Leave a comment below to let me know!